Clay Pulliam is a member of the firm’s real estate practice group. Clay represents a wide variety of clients in connection with commercial real estate transactions and other transactional matters in Texas and throughout the U.S. His practice focuses on acquisitions and dispositions, development, construction, financing, workouts, leasing, and joint ventures covering multiple types of properties, including office, retail, multifamily, industrial, hospitality, hospital, and mixed-use high-density urban developments. Clay served as in-house counsel for Hillwood Development Company, where he was responsible for various legal aspects of Hillwood’s industrial, hospitality, office, residential and retail investments, including the development, leasing and operation of Hillwood’s 75-acre mixed-use development at Victory Park, near downtown Dallas. He also served as in-house counsel for a small private equity firm, focused on opportunistic investments in secondary and tertiary markets, urban self-storage and affordable housing. Clay was previously a partner in the real estate practice group of Miller Egan (now Egan Nelson), where he continued to represent Hillwood Development Company, among various other clients.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Representation of a privately held real estate company in connection with the acquisition and financing of three shopping centers in Texas and in North Carolina.
- Representation of a real estate investment group in connection with the acquisition of fee and ground lease interests in a medical office building portfolio.
- Representation of various clients in connection with the acquisition and disposition of raw land, office buildings, retail shopping centers, hotels, and industrial office buildings.
- Representation of a private investment fund, a European pension system, an institutional real estate advisor and a state pension system in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of various office buildings.
- Representation of a publicly traded REIT in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of multi-family properties across the United States.
- Representation of a major U.S. defense contractor in connection with an operating lease in a build-to-suit 500,000 square foot facility in the CityLine development in Richardson, Texas.
- Representation of a publicly traded operator of a high-end steak restaurant brand in connection with the negotiation of approximately 30 restaurant leases across the country.
- Representation of an owner of over 500,000 square feet of Class AA office space in Dallas, Texas, including the leases for Haynes and Boone, LLP, Ernst &Young U.S. LLP, PlainsCaptial Bank and TXU.
- Representation of the purchaser of the White Swan Building in Dallas, Texas, and the negotiation and documentation of the 60,000 square foot lease for the House of Blues – Dallas.
Development, Construction and Financing
- Representation of a large hospital developer in connection with the development of five hospitals in Texas, including the establishment of medical office and hospital condominium regimes.
- Representation of Hillwood and related interests in connection with the development and operation of Victory Park and the acquisition and operation of development sites in the Uptown area of Dallas, TX, including the construction of the Hillwood and Perot Campus located on Turtle Creek Avenue in Dallas, Texas.
- Representation of an institutional investor in connection with the financing and development of a high-rise, multi-family and retail building in the Uptown neighborhood of Dallas, Texas.
- Representation of multi-family and office developers in connection with site acquisition, loans, construction and operation of various multi-family and office products.
- Representation of a private equity fund in connection with the development of self-storage facilities in Texas and the acquisition and development of multiple affordable housing/LIHTC projects in Texas and Louisiana.
- Representation of a developer in connection with the development, construction and leasing of mixed-use office buildings containing approximately 450,000 square feet of office space, 30,000 square feet of retail space.
- Representation of various clients in connection with construction loan agreements, acquisition financing and loan modifications for retail, multi-family, hotel, office and industrial properties.